ART 440 - Class Presentation
I wrote a character study on Maria Sibylla Merian for a class at COD. She was born in Germany in 1647. She was a woman ahead of her time when women couldn't teach painting or get academically published. At that time butterflies were considered evil because they were attracted to milk and perceived as evil spirits trying to steal it. Maria was an avid observer of caterpillars and butterflies, carefully documenting them and painting them. She self published several books. This report inspired me to study science.
A brief history of STEM:
* Post Sputnik in the 1970s rote memorization and drills were replaced with equity based and individual learning
* 2001 the acronym was created by the U.S. National Science Foundation
* The Tech Boom of the 1990s and 2000s caused educators to shift their focus to STEM
* On November 8,2009 President Obama created "Educate to Innovate Initiative" to promote STEM education movement for our country to compete in the global market
WHAT DEBATES/PROBLEMS DO YOU SEE WERE A RESULT OF THIS?
* STEM is exclusive of other subjects
* Classes without accounting for engagement has led to stagnant growth
The acronym STEAM started to grow when former President of the Rhode Island School of Design proposed in a speech to educators about adding "arts" to STEM:
"Design thinking and creativity are essential ingredients for innovation"
Below are QR Codes which will show you how butterflies fly and biomimicry science.